Sunday, November 02, 2008

Dem Sox

I remember October 27th, 2004. The Red Sox, with 86 years of downright eerie failure behind them, were one out away from winning the World Series. This was a week after being one out away from losing the ALCS to the Yankees. As a peripheral Red Sox follower since I was a kid, I was amazed to be sitting there watching the game with one out to go in game four thinking 'don't get excited'..

They'd been so destined for ultimate failure for so long, by whatever power bestows that kind of thing, that I couldn't even stand up. Couldn't smile. Couldn't move, couldn't begin to accept it until Doug Mientkiewicz caught the last ball and went nuts.

If you're someone who has watched the Republicans run us aground and demean and degrade those who disagreed with them over the last eight years, then you know this feeling well. Tuesday can't come fast enough.

It needs to be over. I'm petrified. All signs are positive, but so what. Bucky FUCKING Dent, Aaron Boone, Al Gore, it's all the same.

Wake me up Wednesday.

No comments: