Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Free At Last

I got the girls down for bed tonight (part one of three), came downstairs, watched the end of the 9News update on evil Musgrave losing and 'Boulder Liberal' Udall winning, and then they cut back to NBC national with a graphic "Senator Barack Obama Elected 44th President Of The United States"...

I sat there for a second, and the first thought that came into my head was my grandmothers living room, where she has the Martin Luther King memorial plate that every african american over the age of 60 has somewhere.

And I totally lost it. A perfectly thorough five minute cry.

Then, of course, I had to go upstairs again. But I just got completely overwhelmed by it, the eight years lifted, the struggles of my family and everyone who ever got called a name for looking like me, it all fell off, if only for a minute.

I don't know how well he'll do - the task is epic and virtually insurmountable. But I remember four years ago yesterday, November 3rd, 2004, I woke up the morning after Bush's inconceivable reelection, knowing that my second child would come into the world later that day.

I'm hoping her world just got a little better.

No comments: